January 18, 1924 First Baptist Church of Indio became organized and established under the leadership of Reverend Jones.
Prior to 1924, a small group of Baptist believers held church services in a number of homes here in Indio. They worshiped in the homes of Mrs. Marshall, Mrs. Murdock, Mrs. Noble, Mrs. Whitman, Mrs. Smith, and other Christian friends. To ease their troubles, the Community Methodist Church invited them to worship with their congregation and later allowed them to hold their own evening church services.
In 1925 Mr. John Noble donated to the church a room for worship. It was an incomplete building and had a tent rooftop. This did not stop them from pushing God’s word forward. This building became the church’s first permanent place of fellowship.
Sometime in 1933 First Baptist Church moved to Oasis Street. in the vicinity of the Indio police department. During this time the church was named First Missionary Baptist Church but still known in the community as First Baptist Church of Indio.
In the early 70’s church members came together to build the very church you are standing in today. Under the leadership of Pastor Ray Harris and members of the Board of Trustees which included; Brother Willie Castleberry, Brother T.C. Lee, Joseph Newell, and Rev. Joseph Speech our church was built. Ground breaking took place Jan. 1973 on what is formally known as Noble’s Ranch. Two years later Nov. 2,1975 construction of First Baptist Church of Indio was completed.
Today under the leadership of Pastor Earl Dixon, First Baptist Church of Indio continues to be an anchor in the Christian community. Our church has an established foundation built on the Bible where teaching, preaching, and studying the word of God is our cornerstone.